Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Justice Department Knows Best

In November 2008, the town of Kinston, North Carolina voted overwhelmingly to remove partisan elections for city officials, thus having non-partisan races (like 98.4% of other municipalities in North Carolina currently practice).

Apparently, according the DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE--this vote was (are you ready for it?) RACIST. Nevermind that the city has a black majority. (Those silly black folk just don't know what's good for themselves I suppose, and for you folks that read black and white, that statement was what we call SARCASM).

And just in case you want to accuse me of making this up... you can read all about it in the Washington Post, here.

"The Justice Department's ruling, which affects races for City Council and mayor, went so far as to say partisan elections are needed so that black voters can elect their "candidates of choice" - identified by the department as those who are Democrats and almost exclusively black...

...The department ruled that white voters in Kinston will vote for blacks only if they are Democrats and that therefore the city cannot get rid of party affiliations for local elections because that would violate black voters' right to elect the candidates they want."

I'm not sure what infuriates me more on this issue. The fact that the Justice Department (ummm...FEDERAL) is telling a local government (ummm...STATE) what it can and cannot do --or the fact that someone in our federal government actually BELIEVES that black voters NEED the "democrat" title next to a name in order to know who to vote for.

When is this going to stop? The Federal goverment are overstepping their boundaries in so many forms and fashions these days that it is becoming almost comical. I would think I was watching a bad movie if I wasn't witnessing each and every day.

On another note: I deeply apologize for my lack of posting here at Bless Our Hearts. I have A LOT on my plate at the moment and I had to make some decisions/cuts. One of the "cuts" had to be this blog for several reasons. First, I keep having panic attacks when I think and/or talk about today's current events. Second, some of the things going on in my life are a once in a lifetime deal and I have to give them priority (I know...so ellusive, huh?). Thirdly, I will simply repeat my first excuse. I seriously keep having panic attacks when I think too much about all this business. The General assures me he has some work to contribute so that we don't completely lose our readership during my hiatus. Let's see if he means business shall we?

0 comments: