Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Girlfriends

My girlfriends. They are my foundation, my rock. When I have a "tragedy" in my life--they are the first I turn to. The break ups, the loss of loved ones, the horrible days at work. In turn, when my girlfriends are sad, I try to make them laugh. When they're lonely, I try to fill their void. When they hurt, I try to make them feel better. When they are down and out--I'm there, to try and fill the gap they feel. I'm there to provide a hug, or an insult (if one is warranted--usually toward the opposite sex), or to drink a beer. When they are going through life changing events, I provide my love and support, even if I don't agree with the situation at hand. They are my girlfriends, MY foundation. I'd like to think I'm the same for them. With that said, I can't help but wonder what I would do if I received devastating news about a single one of my girlfriends. Illness, family tragedy, anything. I just don't know. My mother knows. Her best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer in the late 80s and she remembers each and every day of her battle. My mother picked her friend's little girls up from school and brought them to our house when her friend was just "too tired." She held her hand when needed, took her shopping and did everything to help her forget she was now a "C" patient. I like to think, that's what I would do. I would forfit my social life and what I could of my personal life to be there for my friend. To hold her hand if needed, to take care of her babies if she was just too tired. So--in inspiration of my girlfriends--I must promote an amazing organization. Susan G. Komen. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and breast cancer is the demon that effects us girls the most. My mother's friend (mentioned earlier) lost her battle to breast cancer in 2006. She was a fighter--but the beast took hold. It was a terrible loss and this world is a bit smaller without her amazing words and outlooks on life. There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss her--so I can't imagine how my mother feels. Girls and guys alike--look up your local Susan G. Komen foundation and see what you can do to help fight breast cancer. While you're at it, check out your local Heart Association, Cancer Association, etc. Finally, I must end with this. Girlfriends are an amazing breed. I was forwarded an email from a group of Chi Omegas from Tulane (no personal affiliation) and was brought to tears. One of their sisters has recently been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. Rather than be sad and depressed that their friend has to endure this battle, they have rallied together. These girls have put together a Raffle to raise money to help their friend off set her medical expenses. Amazing. They have managed to get Fat Harry's to host and donate refreshments the night of the raffle. They have managed to get a Rolex watch donated, Saints tickets, LSU tickets and many other prizes that local residents of NOLA would love. All for the sake of their friend. To date, they have raised over $4,000 to help their friend. What an inspiration. Thank God for girlfriends.

0 comments: