Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shall Priests Marry?

In the morning Rasmussen Report, one of the headliners was "40% of Catholics Say Priests Should Be Allowed to Marry, 39% Disagree."

I have to say...maybe it is that I am a converted Catholic--or maybe it is because I'm considered a *gasp* cafeteria Catholic...but I am definitely a part of the 40% that believe priests should be able to marry.

I'm pretty sure--and don't really feel like looking it up at the time to back me up--that the whole priests can't marry thing started back in the Middle Ages with a particular group of monks. Prior to that--priests could marry.

I'm also pretty sure--that if priests could marry we wouldn't have such a shortage. My church has plenty of deacons...who followed God's call, but still wanted to partake in the beautiful sacrament of marriage and creating a family in God's eye.

I've just always been baffled as to why priests can council us on marriage--yet not partake in the sacrament themselves? I do not believe that marriage takes away from your relationship with God. In fact, I believe quite the opposite. Me and the Guy's faith has grown as our relationship has--and we have no doubt that when "baby Guys" come in to the world that our faith will grow even more with witnessing such miracles.

0 comments: