Tuesday, March 17, 2009

PA Beer Laws

Ok, I always thought the alcohol laws in the South were pretty odd, but learned yesterday (the hard way) that you can not buy anything less than a case in Fraser, PA unless you go to a bar. Now I have five nights to drink 24 beers by myself. Ha! All my temps have gotten a big kick out of that one! Figured all you PA peeps that check in would, too! As I have had NO time to do anything but work, I've neglected the blog. Sorry! If it makes you feel any better I miss y'all! AIG. Wow. And the PA state senator who is shocked to be found guilty of 100+ charges?!? Well, I came into that one last night. Shocker. A politician is a crook. Happy St. Patty's day!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't live in PA, but have several friends there and visit Phili at least once a year. And you are right, their laws are weird. I remember going into a bar for the express purpose of getting a six pack.

Southern Girl said...

Yep. AFTER the fact we were told that's how to buy anything less than a case! Crazy!

Moogie P said...

Our "no open container" law in Louisiana has a little exception in it for the drive-through daiquiri stores. Even though your daiquiri is ready to consume, straw and all, it's not considered an open container because it has a lid!

I remember being in PA in the early 90s and having to go to three different state-operated package stores to get beer, wine, and liquor. They were all kept separate.

You gotta wonder what the rationale is to sell cases only -- doesn't that just encourage over-consumption?

nanc said...

they still "bootleg" in some places here in arkansas - funniest thing to see a trooper pulled over dumping the over the limit beer out on a "routine" traffic stop!

Anonymous said...

Moogie P, wine and liquor are sold at the same store in PA, the state owned "Wine and Spirits". You can find six-pack shops who buy bar licenses to sell six-packs but they have to sell some kind of ready to eat food. But yeah, after living in Texas for a year I find the liqour laws in PA a little "retarded".