Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Rooster and the Hen

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Dave Ramsey. I wish more people WERE familiar with him and his teachings. Particularly those that are currently in Government positions and are responsible for our BUDGETS and SPENDING.

Anyhow, I stumbled across this poem in one of Dave's books, that was sent to him by his mother when Dave was struggling through a period of economic hardship due to high interest rates in the real estate business.

Again, I wish more people in Government positions would read and listen to Dave. The Rooster and the Hen says it all.

The Rooster and the Hen

Said the Little Red Rooster, "Believe me things are tough! Seems the worms are getting scarcer and I cannot find enough. What's become of all those fat ones? It's a mystery to me. There were thousands through that rainy spell, but now, where can they be?"

But the Old Black Hen who heard him didn't grumble or complain, she had lived through lots of dry spells; she had lived through floods of rain. She picked a new and undug spot, the ground was hard and firm, "I must go to the worms," she said. "The worms won't come to me."

The Rooster vainly spent his day, through habit, by the ways where fat round worms had passed in squads back in the rainy days. When nightfall found him supperless, he growled in accents rough, "I'm hungry as a fowl can be, conditions sure are tough."

But the Old Black Hen hopped to her perch and dropped her eyes to sleep and murmured in a drowsy tone, "Young man, hear this and weep. I'm full of worms and happy for I've eaten like a pig. The worms were there as always, but boy, I had to dig!"

This poem was written during the Depression. Strange how it still applies today, if not more than yesterday.

0 comments: