Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Please, throw me under the bus!

I know...old news...but reminders never hurt. On March 18, 2008, in a speech on race relations in Philadelphia in the wake of controversial videos of Obama's pastor Jeremiah Wright surfacing, Obama described his grandmother: "I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.[20]" On March 20, 2008, in a radio interview on Philadelphia's WIP (AM), Obama explained this remark by saying: "The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity - she doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know...there's a reaction that's been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society.[21][22][dead link]" Obama's use of the phrase "typical white person" was highlighted by a gossip columnist for the Philadelphia Daily News and subsequently picked up by commentators on the Huffington Post blog, ABC News and other media outlets.[23][24][25][26] In a CNN interview, when Larry King asked him to clarify the "typical white person" remark, Obama said: "Well, what I meant really was that some of the fears of street crime and some of the stereotypes that go along with that were responses that I think many people feel. She's not extraordinary in that regard. She is somebody that I love as much as anybody. I mean, she has literally helped to raise me. But those are fears that are embedded in our culture, and embedded in our society, and even within our own families, even within a family like mine that is diverse.[26]" She was "his rock." Ha. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And I'll tell you what, if I were to ever be in the acquaintance of Mr. Obama, I'd be watching out for large vehicles and watching my back. If he has no qualms about throwing his loved ones under the bus, what makes any of us think he has any regard for us "mere citizens?"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

He had to clarify a clarification.
He only cares about people who can help him politically.