Saturday, January 31, 2009

Recommended Reading, 1/31/09

Obama's Economic Tightrope--Governor Mark Sanford's (SC) take on Obama politics and state bailouts.

A Warning to the President--Genuine bipartisanship means compromises on policy, not photo-ops and hand shakes. The last two Democratic Presidents, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, also came to power with big Democratic majorities in Congress, veered far to the left on policy, and quickly came undone. To adapt White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel's now famous line, a 70% approval rating is a terrible thing to waste on the ideas of Henry Waxman and Pete Stark.

George Obama Arrested--Just because this headline is interesting...

Peace Rules as Polls Close in Iraq--isn't the headline enough? Thank Goodness for Obama!

GOP Governors Support Bailout--I think my favorite quote is Jindal's..."I'd have voted against it if I were still in Congress...but..."

What a load of crap. Geez. I'd approve it if we took out all the pork and pets and just allocated the money to STIMULUS PLANS.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent illustration of how government based upon pork rather than principle works, and why no politician seems to stand on principle anymore. Sanford comes closest, but might still have to take the dollars to get re-elected. Barbour is next, and may not take it if there are strings attached. (Haley wouldn't think of this, he is too together, but what if they put a limit of $100,000 on a governor's total compensation, including perks?) Jindal has done a great job giving attention to the projected deficit in Louisiana, and has made some hard choices that won't be popular, so I don't fault him entirely for saying he might have to take it, even though, on principle, he shouldn't. I noticed that Cao, elected less than two months ago, already has a "reelection staff", and has said, after voting against the first House bill (HR 1) that he might support the Senate version or one compromised between the two. Read that as "now that I have political gurus advising me, the principle I stand on is -- what pork do I need to sign on for to get re-elected?"