Monday, January 26, 2009

Restaurant Customers

I came across this article this morning about restaurant customers (the title of this post is linked to the article) and it gave me a good giggle. Then sent me spiraling down memory lane. Oh. The nerve of some people. I worked in the restaurant industry from the time I was 14 until I was 23. I took about two years off (but in increments)--otherwise, I was there, either as a hostess, a server, a runner, a busser...I worked just about every aspect of the restaurant. I've even been known to throw some fries in the frier and wash some dishes when we were short a dishwasher. I have been there and I know. There were a couple of "restaurant types" that just got my blood boiling thinking about them. First: The Yup Couple--snobby woman, spineless man How true. The woman is a complete shrewed and has probably never worked a day in her life. If she has, it was definitely NOT a job where she had to deal with customers. Otherwise, there is NO way she would speak to another human being that is trying to make an honest living the way she does. Makes you want to spit in her food most of the time. Second: The Family. You know what I'm talking about. The kids everywhere...mom and dad "enjoying" a meal out of the house. Ok--in a family friendly restaurant I'm perfectly ok with that. I wish the parents would clean up after their children, but will take what I get. In a nicer restaurant, I don't want to see kids. Unless they're well behaved, proper children. I saw a few tables like that the other night--I was amazed at how well behaved the children were. Not my family. My family would be an embarassment and destroy the other diners' night out. Which is why I believe that if it is not a child friendly restaurant...don't bring your children. Make it a date night if you really want to try out that new steakhouse. It's not your night that you're ruining by the loud, dirty children. It's the other diners. And the servers... Third: The Teens. This is self-explanatory. And reminds me of this summer when we had a girls' night and went to a local restaurant to eat and enjoy a few cocktails. The table next to us was full of teen agers that were loud, throwing food and actually went ACROSS the street to the grocery store, bought food there and brought it back into the restaurant. Several issues with this: first, the children have been taught NO manners. I do not blame them--I blame their parents. I understand a teen will be a teen, but with proper guidance in those formative years, the teen will at least somewhat respect those around him. Second, the teens are taking up FIVE tables on a Friday night and are there for hours. That loses that server the chance for at least FIVE tips. Third--they did not tip. I was confronted by one of the teens because we moved. She said, "do you have a problem with us?" My response, "Yes. You are disrespectful. Throwing food like monkeys and behaving like 12 year olds. Yes, I have a problem with you." She went to complain to the manager, who then proceeded to give my table complimentary cocktails. The teens left soon after. Finally, The Gaggle. You've seen them. A group of women that act just like the teens mentioned above. Yet, they're grown adults. They are the worst customer. They run your ass like crazy, usually sending you into the weeds (restaurant lingo for so busy you can't catch up) which then usually hurts your chance for a good tip from another table...all for a meezly tip and probably a huge blow to your self esteem. So...My soap box for the day. Restaurant customers. It's tough to be a restaurant employee and these days I am thankful that I am not one any longer. But I'll never forget the years that I was. And I appreciate my service and tip accordingly.

3 comments:

nanc said...

i hear you!

having worked in the restaurant industry in my younger days i can tell you it taught me how NOT to act when out in public and we've taught our teens to behave as well. fact of the matter is, they're overly polite and very good tippers.

what irks them and us are the parents who allow their children to have the game type toys in the restaurant - the child is usually mesmerized while the parents are on their cells - the waitress brings the food, the little darlin' is worn out and cranky and the parents say, "could you please put his/her food into a go container?"

what a bunch of morons!

Unknown said...

I think I've done committee work with that shrewd shrew.

How about the young kids who can't keep their precious little bottoms in their chairs and who will trip a server carrying hot food at any moment? And the group that camps at a table and orders ice water + lots of extra lemon wedges + sugar = free lemonade!

Ah -- the joys of working for the public!

Southern Girl said...

which you should WANT to do...because it's good for our country. :)