Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Housewives Evil? I think not.

I am currently reading a book called "Women Who Make the World Worse: and How Their Radical Feminist Assault Is Ruining Our Schools, Families, Military, and Sports" by Kate O'Brien.

I'll admit it is taking me longer than usual to read because it's difficult for me to read at times. I find myself getting slightly angry with some of the quotes/comments made by some of these women...

For example, I stumbled across this statement last night: Betty Friedan states, "But even if a woman does not have to work to eat, she can identify only in work that is of real value to society--work for which, usually, our society pays." (italics--my emphasis)

I read this phrase and re-read it and read it yet again with the same thought powering through my mind: How exactly is raising a child NOT contributing to society? This could be my personal opinion, or some may share--but aren't children that have parents that CARE about their life and want to share the moments with them typically more positive adults than those that were passed from daycare to daycare/nanny/neglected?

Please don't get me wrong. I am NOT knocking mothers that have to work to eat, or keep a roof over your babies heads. I am just simply dumbfounded at the statements Ms. Friedan makes --apparently on a consistent basis.

I once told my father that although I was attending the University, I was simply doing so to obtain my M.R.S.

Although it was stated tongue in cheek, it was not received well by either of my parents. My mother fought her way through a male dominated industry in the late 70s and early 80s--and my father wants nothing but the best for his children--and he wants his children to reach "their best" on their own. NOT with the assistance of a M.R.S. (or M.R).

Years later from that statement (you know, the M.R.S statement), I now possess a degree and no M.R.S. I am working and supporting myself and I couldn't be happier. BUT...I will not sacrifice time with my unborn children just to show some man I am just as competent as him. I take it as a great honor that I can one day be a mother and teach my children to be pillars of society. Just as my own mother did.

I strongly disagree with the statement that it takes a village to raise a child. I don't mind the village contributing every now and again--but when I'm blessed with children of my own, I want to be the one that influences my child (well, along with my husband, I suppose).

It starts at home. Period.

If you can't separate work from personal life--don't bring children in to this world. Furthermore, don't you dare knock women that choose to forgo the professional lifestyle to raise their children and maintain their households. That is a full time job--that I'd say contributes to society much more than that 30 second ad spot running on NBC at 5pm.

1 comments:

Mama said...

It's refreshing to see sentiments like these, S.G. I must have done something right. ;)

Betty Friedan was rather -- um -- abrasive. (And unattractive. ok -- low blow. Sorry. Sort of.)