Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Influence On Our Youth

I have a confession to make. I LOVE crap tv. Live for it. Especially on Tuesday nights when I have the house to myself. I curl up on the couch and break out the DVR recorded shows.

One of my weaknesses is a show called Gossip Girl. It's a show about the shallow high school elite in NYC--and all the juicy drama they drag each other through. Just can't get enough of it!

Anyhow, last night one of the characters (the "poor" fella) just found out that his father couldn't afford to put him through Yale (gee, welcome to the REAL world, sweetheart). Ok, I understand the hardships of that and all...but this HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR doesn't blame himself, or his father, or really even Yale's lack of financial aide for that matter. Nope. He blatantly states "a former imbecile President of ours..." and continues about the current state of our market and the Recession. And that, my friends, is why poor chap can't go to Yale.

A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR.

Now, I vaugely remember thinking I knew all the answers to our world's problems when I was in H.S. but I'll also admit--just as others--that as much as I liked to front that I knew it all, politics was one of the last things I truly knew. Trust me, I tried...I was a member of Political Animals and We The People. But I just couldn't truly grasp it all, as I was still dependent on my parents and only worked so I could have the fun things my parents wouldn't buy, etc. I do remember I didn't care too much for our former Prez in my h.s. days...especially all the lovely military cuts, etc...but I sure didn't call him an imbecile and blame him for my lack of funding for schooling. If I had known then what I do now, I'd be cussing him, Fannie and Freddie and all that fun stuff on a daily basis.

But one of the most popular tv shows for America's youth--sneaking in "former imbecile President" and that administration that led us straight into a recession. It really got to me. MSM, hit tv shows, it's every where. I keep waiting for "You are happy. You love life. You love Your President," to appear on my tv screen at all times. Obammy zombies.

I am weak though. Next week's drama looks way too good to miss. And, let's be realistic. Our little teeny boppers aren't going to stop watching this show and its fabulous high school drama--and most probably didn't catch the political jab snuck in there. So the ratings won't drop--even if we tried.
Now. If I had a daughter that watched the show, I wouldn't let her watch it any longer. Me on the other hand? Well, since I don't have a daughter and won't be influencing anyone, I just want the juicy drama. I'll ignore the political slams. I can't get enough. Unless it happens again.

1 comments:

nanc said...

i just cannot watch most television - my husband and i believe glenn beck's hour is just about the best entertainment of all time!

we do tape "hee haw" and watch it every week.